Translate

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cost of Living in Manta

Untitled Document

**UPDATE ON RESIDENT STATUS**

Waiting for approval of Investor Visa- Processed on October 22, 2012

You're in for a treat in this article. I'm going to give you the inside scoop on what a few items of groceries cost me when I grabbed a few things at the Gran Aki supermarket in Manta. Before I get into that I would like to make a comment on our status of our resident visa (Investor visa.)

It has been over a month now, and we are still waiting for our Ecuador Resident Visa to be processed. Although we are not yet concerned, as for some this might be a long time to wait, but one needs to remember that this is Ecuador and the speed of which things move are not the same as what we are used to. We still have time on our side, thanks to the 180 day tourist visa extension we received before we left Canada. They say that your regular 90 day tourist visa is enough and gives plenty of time for you to get your Investor Visa, but I beg to differ.

The reason I disagree with that advice is because I have heard of many who needed to scramble and go to Quito or Guayaquil to get there Tourist Visa extended, because they were nearing their 90 day tourist visa running out of time. Believe me, save yourself the hassle and stress and just get your Tourist Visa extended either at your home country, or shortly after you arrive in Ecuador.

Cost of Living in Manta, Ecuador

So here are my few items I purchased at Gran Aki Supermarket. For you Canadians this supermarket is what we like to call our "Superstore" like we have back

at home. For Americans I think it would be like a notch down from Albertsons. Anyway, the cheapest supermarket in Manta, hands down! So here are my items I purchased:

Imported naval oranges (from Chile) 4 large 2.17
Bananas 16 large 1.09
Head of broccoli 1 large .49
Tomatoes 8 medium 1.84
Whole wheat bread 2 loaves 1.26 each
Dozen eggs 1 dz 1.96
Ruffles chips big bag 3.08
Mandarin oranges 8 large .68
Oro Cafe instant coffee (better then Nescafe) 150 gram 4.42
Tesalia water 2 liter .60
Chiveria yogurt (liquid style) 2 kg 4.38
  Subtotal 23.23
  Taxes 12% IVA .97
  Total 24.20

That's right folks all them goodies for under $25 bucks! You'll notice that the chips and the coffee are the more expensive things. If I really wanted to be "chintsy" you can shop more frugally if you choose to, but hey we need a treat once in a while, and we certainly need our coffee!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe to our RSS feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner